Friday, July 1, 2011

Caring for natural hair!!

Caring for natural hair is without a doubt not an easy task.  I learned that the hard way because I went into this journey thinking, well how hard can this be and I found out that if you are not knowledgeable in natural hair and what makes it grow or how to care for it, you could be in for a rude awakening.  So I just wanted to give a few quick tips: First, always wrap your hair with a satin scarf at night or get a satin pillowcase to sleep on because retaining moisture in your hair is VERY important and sleeping on a regular pillowcase can dry your hair out a lot.  I've learned to oil my hair and scalp before wrapping my hair and going to sleep to ensure my hair retains the proper moisture. Second, don't make the mistake of washing your hair every night or every other night, try and wash your hair once a week because the more often you wash, the dryer your hair and scalp become or the more you have to moisturize your hair and scalp.  That brings up my next tip, always try to use moisturizing shampoos and conditioners when washing your hair because moisture is very important.  After washing make sure you get a good leave-in conditioner, preferably one that helps with detangling.  Usually leave-ins leave the hair soft and manageable.  Next, try to use less heat as possible because heat can damage the hair and if you do use heat use a product that helps protect your hair against heat damage.  Last, make sure you keep your ends clipped because when ends are split the hair growth is minimal to none. 

I can not stress to y'all how important moisturizing the hair is.  MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE!!! Dry and brittle hair is a recipe for disaster, so please be mindful of how you care for your hair and the stress you put your hair though.  Oh and one more thing, what you put in your body as far as foods also pertains to the health of your hair, so vitamins, fruits, vegetables or a healthy balanced diet is also important.  I hope all my tips will help you along in your natural hair care journey.  Have a good one!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment